Wednesday, October 2, 2019

It Matters

There is so much sadness around me right now as I type up this post.

I lost a niece two weeks ago that, until recently, I never knew existed- -and I never got to meet her. It's a complicated story.  I grieve for her father (my brother) and her sister.  I also grieve that I never got the chance to hug her and love on her as an aunt should.

In one of my buildings in which I teach, we just lost a very young colleague, a teacher who was a mere 30 years old left behind 3 extremely young children and a husband.  She died of cancer.  I think back to the end of last school year when I sat beside her during an assembly and the two of us cut up the entire time, end of the year "punchy-ness."

My own sister, whom I grew up with, am very close to, love more than life itself, is facing cancer.  She has a wonderful attitude about it.  She doesn't let it control her life and right now she is able to live her life as if she doesn't have this horrible illness.  Yet, in my mind I am terrified that I am going to lose my sister and I truly don't know what I will do when that happens.

These are "real-to-me" reasons for grieving.  You would think that with all this going on, I would have enough to focus on without taking on more grief voluntarily.  But, I can't help it.  I also grieve for our country and for the testimony of my Savior.  And the genesis of this grief sprouted from the election of President Donald Trump.

I went to college at Liberty Baptist College, under the tutu-ledge of Dr. Jerry Falwell SR.  I got saved on that campus and it was truly salvation, both spiritually and physically as I was contemplating suicide at the time.  I had a plan and was ready to carry it out.  Then came Jesus.  And it's because of my relationship with Jesus that I am having a really difficult time with President Trump.  See, I believe that character counts.

Donald Trump is a liar, a thief, a cheating husband, a manipulator, a narcissist.  He does things in illegal, unethical, underhanded ways. He is unrepentant.

What I honestly cannot fathom is this:  people put this man into office because they were tired of the political games from the status quo- -many of these people who voted him in are Christians, born-again Believers of Christ.  They are children of God.  They are Jesus followers.  They wanted a return to Christian values.   Why are these folks not holding this man accountable?  Why are they excusing his behavior?  I am truly confused and I grieve for the testimony of my Lord.

If you truly think that Donald Trump is a man of God, please answer my questions about this man.  Help clear up my confusion.  If I can calmly explain my distaste of this man without feeling that you are repugnant for disagreeing with me, why can  you not explain your love for him without hating me for disagreeing?  Why can't we talk this out?  Why can't we come to a meeting of the minds, an understanding of each other?  Why?

We are coming up on another election.  I want to understand why you feel I should vote for someone who has purposely violated every commandment.  Don't justify his behavior by comparing it with a past election and the candidates.  Don't use the wrongs committed by another to excuse the actions of this man.

I want real conversation on both political issues and moral behavior.  They are two separate items; yet, to me they are both important.

No comments:

Post a Comment

January 3, 2020

     OK, I wanted to post something since the new year started but today is probably not the right day to do so.  If you check my page en...