Monday, January 3, 2011

Day Three of My Picture Project


"My name is Victoria Winters... my journey is just beginning..."

These are the words that opened up the show Dark Shadows in 1966. Although in 1966, I was too young to know what was going on, I began watching in 1967 when they added the most famous character of all, Barnabas Collins. Although, I will admit that I loved each of the characters, there are some that stand out in my mind. I remember thinking that Joan Bennett was absolutely amazing. In the early episodes, David's father was not a very loving man and was always threatening to get rid of David. He, of all the characters, to this day is my least favorite; maybe for his mistreatment of David. David's Aunt Elizabeth, played by Joan Bennett, swept in to save David from his father, time and time again. I thought Vicky Winters was beautiful! I loved her dark hair and the fact that she seemed to be the star. Everyone I knew had blonde or red hair and dark haired people, to my child's way of thinking, weren't very important. Vicky Winters was the exception. Johnathan Frid, as Barnabas was my hero!!! No matter how evil his intent seemed to be, I rooted him on. I knew that deep down in his heart, he had to be a good guy. He didn't want to be bad, it just seemed to work out that way. It wasn't his fault and no one, I believed, except me could understand that. I also understood Angelique. I thought she was beautiful. I remember my babysitter standing by me one day and commenting on how ugly Angelique's teeth were. Since I also have ugly teeth, I felt a bond with her. I tried to hold my mouth in the same way Angelique did but all I got was my mom asking me what I was doing. Oh well, so much for attempting beauty.

Recently, a friend on Facebook told me that Dark Shadows was going to be remade by Tim Burton with Johnny Depp as Barnabas. I will watch but I am truly hoping that Tim doesn't mess up the original show. Burton has a way of making everything dark and sinister and I have never been a fan of Depp. No matter what they do to the story I will always feel that Barnabas was not a bad guy, he was just misunderstood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

January 3, 2020

     OK, I wanted to post something since the new year started but today is probably not the right day to do so.  If you check my page en...